Monday 16 January 2012

Work from Semester 1 Year 2 / Garment Technology

Another module undertaken by fashion students at Leeds University is "Garment Technology". This module is focused on the construction of apparels and the processes carried out to achieve a finished piece.

Before I studied fashion I studied art and design at A-Level, and although this provided me with skills necessary to complete other modules, when first presented with the brief for Garment Technology, I felt stranded. With guidance from lecturers and peers it was something we all got to grips with as a class however, the true complexity of garment construction came clear and I knew it was something I needed to build on.

This year, we were presented with individual projects that involved the research into and eventually the construction of a men's jacket or skirt. As I had chosen to focus specifically on menswear I was assigned the jacket. We were given a flat drawing of what the finished garment should look like which proved invaluable as time went on.

The project required us to research, as broadly as possible, men's jackets and to document our construction process to form a step-by-step guide that included imagery of us at work. It was imperative that we were honest with our notes identifying any mistakes made and how we overcame them.

Any garment construction carried out in first year was very basic or was carried out as part of a group meaning my skills as a pattern maker and cutter were limited. Despite this, I am pleased with the finished jacket and apart from a few mistakes made, found the experience enjoyable and rewarding. I am certain also that my ability has increased massively.

Here are some of the finished pages from my journal and a photograph of the final outcome:


No comments:

Post a Comment